Friday 5 November 2010

WE ARE THE ENOLA GAYS!


I'm always looking for tags that will neatly encapsulate who us Lately Gay folk are and that must be what I was sleep-working on last night as my very first thought on waking was ... Enola Gay.

Well, how on earth, I thought, are lately gay people like the Enola Gay*? (*The Bomber that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, I add for our younger viewers!) Er, because, er ... I began to grope my way through this ... er, we dropped a shocking bombshell from a great height .. late in the day?? But Enola Gay bombed first thing in the morning? Yes, yes, I know, but it was very late in the war, wasn't it? I even realised that I could get an acronym out of it: Explosive News Only Lately Aware.



So, having tried it on for size, I'm intrigued and think it has possibilities - and imagine if it did catch on - the Enola Gays! Might even get us into the dictionary. There we'd be next to Gay, Bi, Butch, Fem etc. accompanied by a neat illustration e.g. Adam: 'Hi Steve, who's your new friend - I've not seen him before?'/Steve: 'Oh that's Ryan ... Yup, he's Enola Gay!' Nuff said! Of course, things might get interesting if the tag takes on and we'll have the war buffs looking up the actual 'Enola Gay' on the net and then they'll find our site. Now that really could be a bombshell for some, especially those of a mighty, righteous persuausion.

Bring it on, I say.

1 comment:

Latelygay said...

The following are comments posted on this article when it was in another location and they are reproduced here becaause comments are not exportable:

'Denis' said ...

"Please no! To be lately gay is enough of an emotional roller coaster. The Enola Gay reminds me of Hiroshima, a holocaust. This is not a positive association and also carries emotional and political baggage. We may be hot older guys, but lets keep that hotness clearly defined.'

15 July 2008 13:50
Latelygay said...

'Thank's for that, Dennis. Yes, I appreciate the humour is very dark and in my mind I had given a lot of thought to my words before posting.

The notion is is utterly ironic, but personally speaking, after a six year post-separation pause, most of which I seem to have spent suspended from a guilty hook, I'm finally unhooking myself.

Like the disgraceful widow that eventually goes 'whippee!' to everyone's consternation (Cf. Noel Coward/Mrs Worthington), a corner is turned and we have to recognise that life is for living.

Yes, the anaology is very glib, but after all, the 'Enola Gay' epitomises the very spirit of a moment that must not be repeated, as must not the spectre of incompatible marriages, though they continue to this day.'